The cross adorning Chateau Grand Barrail Lamarzelle Figeac label refers both to the origins of the prestigious city of Saint Emilion in the middle age and to the origins of the domain itself at the end of the 19th century.
Saint Emilion, a two thousand year-old history
The ancient site of Ascumbas (former name of St Emilion), appears more than two millenaries ago, when the Romans settled around Bordeaux, planting the first vineyards. In the 8th century, Emilion, a monk native of Bretagne, moved to Ascumbas to retire and devoted himself to prayer. As he was famous for his great qualities, a community of disciples settled in the area. After he died, they renamed the place Saint Emilion, to honour his memory. Several religious communities settled there, as witnessed by the numerous and remarquable ruins and monuments which punctuate the landscape of this beautiful village, one of the most renowned around the world.
The cross on Grand Barrail Lamarzelle Figeac label pays tribute to the past and the origins of Saint Emilion and its vineyard, which are now listed as a Unesco World Heritage site since 1999.
The rise of Chateau Grand Barrail Lamarzelle Figeac
Chateau Grand Barrail Lamarzelle Figeac – with no doubt the longest name in the history of Bordeaux chateaux – owes its creation to René Bouchart, a brewer from the North of France, who discovered and fell in love with the Saint Emilion wines. He sold his company in 1895 and bought a domain named Figeac-La Marzelle. The vineyard, severely affected by phylloxera, was entirely renewed and expanded. René Bouchart first added a small tenant farm, Clos La Marzelle Grand Barrail, then acquired in 1906 the adjacent land named Clos Lamarzelle. First known as Chateau La Marzelle Figeac (1), the full name “Grand Barrail Lamarzelle Figeac” (2) appeared very soon after.
Three arms of the cross decorating the label since 2011 symbolize the first three domains which gave birth to Chateau Grand Barrail Lamarzelle Figeac, represented by the fourth arm.
(1) 9ème édition du Féret – 1922
(2) Saint Emilion, son histoire, ses monuments, ses grands vins, ses macarons – 1923 – Dr Pierre Bertin-Roulleau