You will not be surprised to learn that the coat of arms of Château Pey La Tour is … a tower!
It is necessary to go back to the distant origins of the “la Tour et Salle de Salleboeuf” to find the trace of this edifice, of which only ruins remain today.
In the Middle Ages, the village of Salleboeuf included five “feudal mounds”. These mounds, surrounded by a wooden palisade and a ditch, intended to ensure protection to the lord of the place and the population. The mound named “la Tour”, first mentionned at the end of the 11th Century, was the only one comprised of a “castrum”, a square stone enclosure.
Demolished, rebuilt, burned during the many battles that took place nearby in the first years of the Hundred Years War, the tiny fortress of La Tour was finally destroyed around 1377, when Bertrand Du Gesclin took over all the castles of the Entre-Deux-Mers in the beginning of the Hundred Yeard War. In the past, wreckage of weapons and cuirasses, and even a candlestick with the arms of the Knights of the Order of Malta have often been unearthed.
The name “La Tour”, which old stones still watch over the vineyard today, remained forever to designate the property. It is mentionned in number of old documents and on the first official map of the kingdom of France by Belleyme and Cassini in the mid-eighteenth century.
Quite naturally, a tower still adorns the labels, as a tribute to the estate’s centuries-old history. The domain of “Château de La Tour” was bought in 1990 by Dourthe who re-named it Château Pey La Tour.