The square courtyard of Château Rahoul is home to venerable witnesses of the distant past of this ancient seigneury, located in the village of Portets (France), in the Graves region: a tombstone dated 1646 … a very old and complex sundial, engraved with the monogram “GR”, dated 1660…
The tombstone and initials are those of Chevalier Guillaume Raoul, “bourgeois merchant of Bordeaux” first known owner and builder of the oldest part of this pretty chartreuse.

 

Château Rahoul coat of arms finds its origin in the Latin motto of the Raoul family: “Lilio Fidelis“, which means “faithful to the lily”, in other words “faithful to the crown of France”. The “fleur de lys”, which then symbolized the Trinity, figured on the emblem of France from 1211 to 1830. From 1515 to 1792, the coat of arms of the kings of France is “azure, three gold fleurs-de-lis; stamped with the royal crown fleurdelisée. »

Testimony of the Raoul family’s devotion towards the King of France, a reproduction of this shield is engraved on a very old fire back, dated 1669, surmounting the motto of the family. The last descendant of the Raoul family’s loyalty earned him to be executed during the Revolution…

A tribute to this historical past, the coat of arms adorns the labels and capsules of Château Rahoul wines since the 2004 vintage.