Preparation time : 45 minutes
Ingredients (serves one)
- 3 scallops
- 1 whole truffle (fresh or preserved)
- Olive oil
- Fleur de sel and freshly ground pepper
Prize open the shells, dislodge and remove the scallop and set aside in a cool place.
Slice the truffles thinly (1mm thick), then do the same with the scallops.
Place the scallop and truffle discs in a shallow plate to make a circle.
Just before serving, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with ground pepper and fleur de sel.
Food and wine pairing
Chateau La Garde, Pessac Leognan blanc, offers lovely mineral character and delicate grapefruit and floral notes. This wine will make a subtle ally to the powerful truffle notes and fleshy texture of the scallops.
Top Tips from the Chef
1. To cut the scallops into thin slices use a very sharp, flexible knife
2. To guarantee the crunchy texture, the truffle must be strongly-scented and firm.
3. If using preserved truffles, opt for a truffle-infused olive oil to replace the ordinary olive oil. This will accentuate the flavour of the truffle.